The Inside Story
Abida Khatun (40), a widow, was living in Dharavi with her two daughters Sabiya (11) and Aalia (7). This family, or rather the Rs 9-lakh house they were residing in, managed to sweep 27-year-old Esteeyak Khan completely off his feet. Esteeyak, who was a labourer in a purse-making factory in the neighbourhood, soon married Abida.

27-year-old Esteeyak Khan in police custody after killing his wife and stepdaughters

A few months later he forced his wife to sell the house on the pretext of plans to settle in Uttar Pradesh. On Jan 25, 2012 Esteeyak took his wife and stepdaughters to Kolkata. DCP, zone IV, Dhananjay Kulkarni said, “The accused tricked Abida, as she was led to believe that the four were on their way to the offender’s hometown in UP.”

Abida Khatun was allegedly murdered by her husband in UP last year, who then threw her body on the railway tracks

He added, “The family landed in Kolkata and stayed there for a while. By then Abida had spent Rs 2 lakh of the total nine.” According to the police officials, Esteeyak was already married to someone in Uttar Pradesh, which Abida was unaware off.

Later, he asked his new wife to accompany him to UP, leaving her two daughters in Kolkata, ‘to buy a plot or house in the state where they could settle’. Kulkarni added, “On their way to Uttar Pradesh, the accused strangulated her with a dupatta and threw her body on the railway tracks. The area falls under the jurisdiction of Lalori police station (UP).”

Esteeyak wasn’t finished. “After murdering Abida, the accused went back to Kolkata and gave the two young girls soft drinks laced with poison. He threw Aalia’s body onto the railway tracks, and Sabiya’s into a garbage dump,” Kulkarni said.

Dharavi police has recovered Rs 7 lakh from the accused, who has been booked under sections 302 (punishment for murder) and 201 (causing disappearance of evidence of offence, or giving false information). He has been moved to Kolkata for further investigations, as a case of murder is registered against him there, while earlier an accidental death report (ADR) was lodged with Lalori police station.

Thanks To: