Forced to live away from her two children for the past six months, a 32-year-old woman, in an act of revenge, throttled her brother's eight-year-old son. The accused, Shivangi, had reportedly even grown fond of her nephew after her in-laws barred her from meeting her own kids. Police said the accused believed her brother was responsible for the problems in her family. The incident took place around 3.30pm on Sunday in Sitaram Apartments in IP Extension, east Delhi. An hour later, the woman surrendered at a nearby police station.

Police recovered the body of Laksh Gosai a student of Amity International School, Mayur Vihar from the terrace. It was found exactly in the manner Shivangi had described to the cops. According to K C Dwivedi, additional commissioner (east), "Shivangi had married one Sumit, who owns a computer hardware business, in Rohini seven years ago. The couple had two children. However, problems cropped up and Shivangi's in-laws forced her out of the house. She was not allowed to meet her children.''

Shivangi then moved into her brother's house at Sitaram Apartments. Her brother, Rajkumar Gosai, runs a business in Karol Bagh. Laksh's mother, Rita, who is physically-handicapped, did not object when Shivangi came to stay with them.

However, Shivangi believed that her brother and his wife were responsible for her problems. Dwivedi added, "Shivangi was convinced that her brother had abused her husband as a result of which she was separated from her kids. She told us she could not see her brother happy after he brought so much misery to her. She thought her brother will understand the loss of a child only when his son is taken away,'' said Dwivedi.

According to Laksh's maternal uncle, Rajender Sharma, Shivangi had asked Rita if she could take the boy out for a walk around 3pm. "Instead, she took him to the seventh-floor terrace,'' said Sharma.

The accused took with her a kitchen knife. "Shivangi first attacked Laksh with the knife, but couldn't kill him. She then used her stole to throttle him. After the crime, she came out of the complex and took a rickshaw to the Krishna Nagar police station. There, she asked the duty officer if she could use the phone. On being asked why, she confessed to her crime and said she wanted to surrender. Shocked, the SHO informed his counterpart at Madhu Vihar police station, which has jurisdiction over the are where the murder took place. The family was finally informed around 5pm,'' said Dwivedi.

The police has sent the accused for medical examination. "We are trying to contact her husband and in-laws in Rohini. After a postmortem, we will ask her family if she had ever been this violent before,'' said a senior investigating officer.

Psychiatrist Dr Sandeep Bora said a general increase in aggression has been noticed among people. "Sometimes personality problems lead people to equate certain situations as personal embarrassments. It is then that they forget what is right and wrong. Since this crime was well-planned, we have to meet the accused to understand her mental condition,'' said Dr Bora.

Thanks To: